Kheema – Indian spiced ground meat with peas
Posted by: Monila Kotecha Junkins on November 16, 2013,
Kheema is a dish I turn to regularly when I need a healthy, kid-friendly meal on the table fast. Kheema means “minced” and it is a delicious one-pot dish made with ground meat, spices, and vegetables. My husband and daughters love it because it is so tasty and I love it because it is so versatile. You can use any combination of meat and vegetables in your Kheema so it doesn’t require much in the way of planning. It also can be served simply as it is with some rice or it can be the basis of something more elaborate…Indian style shepherd’s pie, zesty enchiladas, spiced lasagna. So many possibilities!
This recipe for Kheema is my standard with no extra frills. I have used ground turkey and peas – two ingredients that I have in my fridge weekly. Sometimes I add in carrots, mushrooms or cooked potatoes but that really depends on how much patience I have for chopping and potentially getting another pan dirty! Give this 20-minute recipe a try and let me know how you like your Kheema. Enjoy!
Kheema – Minced Meat with Peas
- 1 TBS oil (I used sunflower but you could use any type of oil)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1.5 TBS ginger, finely grated
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb ground meat (I used lean ground turkey)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes pureed (or a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp garam masala (an Indian spice blend available in supermarkets or online)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ~2 TBS lemon juice (about a ½ lemon)
- In a large saucepan, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon stick. Stir the spices continuously and cook for 20-30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic, jalapeno (if using) and salt. Cook until the onions are golden and soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the ground meat and cook until the meat is fully cooked through, stirring often.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, tomatoes and water. Bring the mixture up to a boil on high, cover and turn the heat to low. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, peas and the lemon juice. Cook until the peas are thawed (about a minute).
- Remove the cloves and cinnamon stick before serving. Serve with some plain rice and flatbread or pita. (I also serve some chopped jalapeno and torn cilantro on the side for the adults.)